Private Ghost Cabin
Situated ten miles south of Aspen, Ashcroft features several historic ruins and homesteads. The town was originally known as Castle Forks City, then Chloride, until 1882.
The original town was founded in 1880, when two Leadville miners left in search of silver in the Castle Creek Valley. After finding silver, the word got out and “Castle Forks City” blew up. In two weeks the town had a courthouse and streets laid out.
It was renamed Ashcroft in 1882 and a year later had 13 saloons and 2,000 residents. At this point it was bigger than Aspen and closer to the railroad in Crested Butte. At its peak it had 3,5000 people, six hotels and twenty saloons.
A rich strike in nearby Aspen sent residents away. They quickly left town and it soon become a lonely place. The last resident, Jack Leahy, died in 1939, making Ashcroft a real ghost town. In 1975 Ashcroft made it onto the National Register of Historic Places.
Image Capture: Spring 2017
Ashcroft Ghost Town
White River National Forest
The image was made using a Canon EOS 5D Mark IV digital body and a Zeiss Milvus 21mm f/2.8 ZE lens. At f/6.3 and ISO 100, seven exposures shot at shutter speeds from 1/2000 second to 1/30 second were combined to expand dynamic range.
The raw image files were processed using Adobe Lightroom, Nik HDR Efex Pro 2, and Nik Color Efex Pro 4.
Copyright © Eric Glaser. All Rights Reserved.
ashcroftaspencabincabinsghostghostsboombustcastle creekcoloradoghost townghost townslandscapelandscapesminingsilvergoldplacerhistoricalunited stateshistoricpreservationold structuresamerican westrocky mountainsrockiesrockymountainspitkin countyaspen historical societyphotographyeric glaser